Framed The Veteran in a New Field by Winslow HomerPatriot Gear
- Proudly handmade in the USA
- Wood frame with mat, glass front, paper duster backing with wire hanger
- Museum quality Giclee digital print using archival paper and inks (not printed on parchment like many of our offerings)
- Standard size frame measures approx. 24" wide x 15" tall
- Poster size frame measures approx. 36" wide x 22.5" tall
We currently offer two lines of frames:
- Solid Wood Frames: Country Black Frame (main photo) or Grey Barnwood.
- Eco-Friendly BonanzaWood® Frames: Pitch Black, White American Barn, or Montauk Boardwalk. These eco-friendly frames provide the finish, look, and longevity of solid wood, yet are constructed of millions of tons of residual wood which is collected, cleaned and milled to uniform-size particles and formed to shape under intense heat and pressure.
Winslow Homer's The Veteran in a New Field is a poignant and contemplative masterpiece that beautifully encapsulates the complex emotions of a post-Civil War America. Painted in 1865, shortly after the end of the Civil War, the artwork portrays a Union Army veteran, dressed in his old uniform, reaping a bountiful field of wheat. The contrast between the soldier's military attire and the peaceful, sun-drenched rural landscape symbolizes the profound transition from war to peace. The scythe in his hand becomes a metaphor for the transition from battle to the renewal of civilian life, and the ripe, golden wheat embodies the promise of a healed and prosperous nation. Homer's skilled use of light and color conveys a sense of optimism, resilience, and hope, making "The Veteran in a New Field" a poignant reflection on the healing and renewal of a war-torn nation.